Scott Simser LL.B. M.B.A. C.M.A.
Was the first deaf adventurer to be accepted by the grueling Outward Bound Wilderness School.
Won a human rights victory against the Court System, so that they now provide real-time captioning or sign language interpreters to lawyers, articling students, parties, or witnesses who are deaf or hard of hearing. Was on CBC Radio "This Morning" to a nationwide audience after my victory.
Started a human rights complaint against Famous Players that resulted in the introduction of, to date, thirty auditoriums with movie captioning of popular Hollywood movies.
Held a press conference detailing a former Deaf Member of Provincial Parliament of Ontario's inability to get sign language interpreting from an honorary body for its official functions, the Ontario Association of Former Parliamentarians.
Appeared in court over a hundred times as lawyer of record, using primarily real-time captioning and also sign language interpreters. Over twenty-five of my cases have been published in legal reports.
Won a human rights victory against my law school by compelling them to provide funds for my access to law school classes, namely real-time captioning and sign language interpreting.
Was a Treasurer on the Board of Directors for the following:
- Canadian Hard of Hearing Association (Ontario)
- Ontario Deaf Sports Association
- Toronto Association of Visual Language Interpreters
- ARCH: A Legal Resource Centre for Persons with Disabilities
Former Vice-President of the Board of Directors for the Canadian Hearing Society.
Received the following Honors:
- Award of Merit from the Ontario Association of the Deaf
- National Award from the Canadian Council of Disabilities
- Queen's Jubilee Award from the Government of Canada